Work-Study is a financial aid program that allows students to earn money for their college expenses through work. Students who participate in the Work-Study program also gain valuable job experience.
As a need-based program, all undergraduate students who submit a financial aid application will be considered for Work-Study. Students are typically awarded $2,500 of Work-Study per year. First-years will only be awarded $1,350, since they are not permitted to work during the fall term.
Federal Work-Study is available to students who qualify for federal financial aid (most domestic students). Under the Federal Work-Study program, students may earn money by working for:
- Public agencies—including Caltech's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)
- Caltech Y
Wages earned under the Federal Work-Study program are subsidized by the federal government. The government will pay 75% of a student's wages, leaving the hiring department to pay the remaining 25%.
The Caltech Work-Study is designed to parallel the Federal Work-Study program, making Work-Study funds available to students who do not qualify for federal financial aid (including most international students). There are a few differences between the two programs, though. Students who receive Caltech Work-Study may only earn money by working for:
- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Wages earned under the Caltech Work-Study program are subsidized by Caltech's financial aid fund. The fund will pay 60% of a student's wages, leaving the hiring department to pay the remaining 40%.
Student Employment is generally available to all students regardless of whether or not they apply for financial aid. The Caltech Career Development Center is happy to assist students in finding part-time jobs. Students typically work an average of 4-10 hours per week. Students may not work for more than 16 hours per week. First-year students may not work during fall term.