Grants & Scholarships

Caltech Scholarships are gifts awarded from institutional or endowed funds specifically established for the purpose of assisting undergraduates. The amount of the award depends entirely on demonstrated financial need, subject to available funds. It can be renewed each year according to the student's level of need in subsequent years.

"Named" scholarships are awarded from gifts to Caltech given for scholarship purposes, and are named by or for the donor. All aid applicants who have demonstrated need and meet the specifications of the donor are automatically considered for a "named" scholarship. Recipients may be asked to write a thank-you letter to one or more donors. Many donors are lifelong friends of the Institute, and they appreciate hearing about student life at Caltech today.
Frosh Camp

Need-based Scholarships:

The Federal Pell Grant program is for undergraduate students who have not yet completed a baccalaureate degree. Eligible students may receive Federal Pell Grants for the period of time necessary to complete a first undergraduate baccalaureate degree. It is intended to be the "base" of the student's financial aid package. This is usually the first program for which a student's eligibility is determined. Many Federal aid programs require that a student's Federal Pell Grant status be considered prior to determining eligibility for other aid. Application for a Pell Grant is made by using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applicants will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) directly from the FAFSA processor. Upon receipt of the SAR, students should review it for errors. If corrections need to be made, students can submit the SAR to the Financial Aid Office for corrections.

If eligible, the exact amount of the student's Pell Grant will be determined by the Financial Aid Office based upon the Expected Family Contribution, and the student's enrollment status.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) Program provides grant funds for undergraduate students who have not completed their first baccalaureate degree and who are financially in need of this grant in order to pursue their education. Awards of FSEOG funds must be made first to students who show exceptional financial need (defined as those students with the lowest Federal expected family contribution at the Institute). Priority for FSEOG funds must be given to Pell Grant recipients. No additional application is required. These grants are contingent upon Federal appropriations. The minimum annual FSEOG award is $100, and the maximum annual award is $4,000.

Cal Grants are awarded to California residents by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). California residents who apply for assistance from Caltech are also required to apply for a Cal Grant. To do so, students should complete a FAFSA and GPA Verification form. CSAC determines Cal Grant eligibility from these forms. The deadline to apply for a Cal Grant is March 2.

Cal Grant A, which is awarded on the basis of financial need and academic achievement, is designed to assist with the cost of tuition and fees.

Cal Grant B is awarded to students from disadvantaged/low-income families. During the first year, Cal Grant B recipients are awarded a monthly stipend for living costs. Renewal Cal Grant B recipients are awarded the monthly stipend and, in addition, assistance with tuition and fees.

Many other states provide scholarships and grants. A complete list of state scholarship agencies and phone numbers is available at: Contact the agency in your state of residence regarding programs available and application procedures.

The Stamps Leadership Scholarship is a need-based merit scholarship awarded to only a select few students who have been admitted under the Freshman Early Action non-binding program (deadline of November 1) and qualify for financial aid.

Outside Scholarships:

A number of local and national organizations offer outside scholarships to continuing students throughout the year, regardless of need. Such scholarships can be found with the help of a search service. We recommend fastWEB, CollegeNet/MACH25, Sallie Mae to assist you. Outside scholarships acquired by students are considered, by Federal regulation, to be a resource available during the academic year. In general, the amount of each outside merit award will be used to replace a like amount of the self-help (loan and/or work) portion of the financial aid award. If the amount of the outside award exceeds the self-help portion, the excess amount will replace Caltech grant eligibility.
Ditch Day