Search Search

Exceptions to Tax Transcript Requirement

We understand that some tax filers are unable to obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript, which is needed to complete your financial aid application.  If you meet any of the circumstances below, you will need to provide alternative documentation.

I’m a victim of identity theft.

I filed an amended tax return.

I filed a tax return with a US Territory, or I am a resident of a US Freely Associated State.

Identity Theft

If you have been a victim of identity theft, the IRS will not allow you to receive an IRS Tax Return Transcript until the matter has been resolved by the IRS. Resolution could take up to a year, depending on the complexity of the case. In this case, you will need to provide:

  • A signed copy of the paper IRS income tax return that was filed with the IRS;


  • A Transcript Database View (TRDBV) tax transcript from the IRS.  A copy of this can be acquired by calling 1-800-908-4490.


  • A signed and dated statement indicating that you were a victim of tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made aware of the identity theft.


Amended Tax Return

If you filed an IRS Form 1040X “Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return”, you will still be able to request a tax transcript for your original tax return. Therefore, if you filed, or will file, an amended tax return with the IRS, you will need to provide:

  • A signed copy of the original tax return;



  • A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X.


Other Tax Returns

Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and Guam

If you filed a tax return with Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or Guam, please provide:

  • A signed copy of the filed tax return.

Freely Associated States (Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Palau and Federated States of Micronesia)

If you are a resident of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Republic of Palau, or the Federated States of Micronesia, please provide:

  • A copy of the individual’s Wage and Tax Statement from each employer;


  • A signed statement identifying all of the individual’s income and taxes for the tax year.

Caltech FinAid on Facebook Caltech FinAid on Twitter